Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Two Passages that Give me Comfort

Galatians 6

Doing Good to All
 1 Brothers and sisters, if someone is caught in a sin, you who live by the Spirit should restore that person gently. But watch yourselves, or you also may be tempted. 2 Carry each other’s burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ. 3 If anyone thinks they are something when they are not, they deceive themselves. 4 Each one should test their own actions. Then they can take pride in themselves alone, without comparing themselves to someone else, 5 for each one should carry their own load. 6 Nevertheless, the one who receives instruction in the word should share all good things with their instructor.
 7 Do not be deceived: God cannot be mocked. A man reaps what he sows. 8 Whoever sows to please their flesh, from the flesh will reap destruction; whoever sows to please the Spirit, from the Spirit will reap eternal life. 9 Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up. 10 Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, especially to those who belong to the family of believers.

This passage has become one of my favorites over the passed few months.  It gives me comfort when I think my actions and efforts in my ministry are futile and not appreciated.  It has also comforted me when I feel I can’t carry on, because usually in those times a good friend comes to the rescue and gives me the encouragement I need, and all I can say is Thank you to God.  For he always knows when my spirit is weary and He reminds me that my work for his kingdom is good work and that it matters to him, that I am important to Him.  Verses 9-10 are my theme as I think I am either too tired or too pregnant to do all the things that I want to. 
I know that my life is not my own and that the time that I spend in doing the things for the Lord, my harvest will one day be great.  And even when I think the kids on Wednesday nights can’t scream louder and they always do, I think back to this verse and many others for the drive to continue to offer a safe environment for them.  Surprisingly enough after each session of 10-12 weeks, I find that the process of running the program and implementing each night becomes smoother and smoother.  I know this is God’s hand, we as the leaders were faithful and didn’t throw in the towel, so God is faithful as always.  I will be sad when April comes, I have to say good bye to the kids and the program for awhile.  It is for good reason, and even in my joy of becoming a mommy and teaching a new child in the ways of the Lord, I will miss my Wednesday nights kids.

Luke 12

Do Not Worry
 22 Then Jesus said to his disciples: “Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat; or about your body, what you will wear. 23 For life is more than food, and the body more than clothes. 24 Consider the ravens: They do not sow or reap, they have no storeroom or barn; yet God feeds them. And how much more valuable you are than birds! 25 Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to your life[b]? 26 Since you cannot do this very little thing, why do you worry about the rest?

I often worry.  I know, I shouldn’t and have probably written on this subject many times before.  I worry more and more now that I am getting closer and closer to becoming a mom (11weeks and 2 days, but who is counting).  I worry that there will be something wrong with my child or that I will be terrible at breastfeeding or a million other things.  The passage above calms my fears, because Jesus was right (as always), I cannot add a single hour to my life by worrying.  Instead, now I pray harder than I think I ever have.  I pray for the health, happiness, and safety of my child, I pray for the adjustment period our family is about to embark on, I pray that God will have his hand on every thing that happens, and that He will be my shelter and shoulder to lean on.
All my life I wanted what was normal, but then I ask myself what is normal? Normal by the world’s standards has never given me the comfort and security that I have sought.  It is only the narrow that Jesus laid out that has given me comfort and security in life. When I have been on the path less traveled by, the one not easily taken has been when my life has been the most satisfying and rewarding.  I will cling to this as I embark on motherhood and try to embrace all the new challenges, fears, and worries that come with it.  For, I trust that my God is faithful and he always comes through even if I can’t always see it right away.
Just this past week, I was so worried about a particular situation that I couldn’t sleep.  I tossed and turned and for me right now that is very uncomfortable.  All my friends said not to worry or lose sleep, but I couldn’t help it.  I prayed with all my might that God would take the situation, and you know what.  He DID!  The next day it seemed everything had worked out without me, God had paved the way for my anxiety to go away.  I believe it was his subtle way of telling me “Just trust in me.”
I can’t say that I will stop worrying completely but I am striving to learn this principle and apply it.  You are probably thinking that this is the worst time to implement something so hard, when your worries are going to increase 100fold soon.  But, I look at it as God’s way for preparing me for motherhood and to chill me out, so I can enjoy the experience and not worry the time away and miss it.

No comments: