Tuesday, February 14, 2012

The Love Day

Today is Valentine's Day or to single people looking for that special someone "Singles Awareness Day."

I used to be one of those single people that dreaded Valentine's Day, because I always felt lonely or left out.  I thought that if I met my sweety right then those days would be behind me, and I would get what all those chick flicks talk about.  Well, I have news for you, when I got married I still was without a Valentine on the love day.  My husband travels and it seems like every year he has to be gone on Valentine's day.  Now, I know that he is still my Valentine, and I love him dearly, plus we don't really do the stereotypical Valentine's plans anyway.  But all my single days, I thought I was going to get this fairy tale, story book, Valentine's day, and I didn't.  I got something better.

Better, you say, is a relative term and if you wanted the "storybook" deal why are you writing this, you ask.  Well I will tell you.  The storybook romance isn't real.  It is, in part, in the beginning of a relationship when you still wear makeup everywhere because you want him to think you naturally look like that all the time.  But, relationships are work, HARD WORK.  Not work that is bad, but work that is rewarding, and fulfilling, and worth it if the other person works just as hard as you.

Our pastor delivered a message on Sunday about Love, and sharing love with everyone on Valentine's Day.  God's love.  I believe that my Love Days are special because we don't just make grand gestures on specials days like Valentine's Day, Anniversaries, Birthdays, etc. We try to make every day special.  We do this because we love each other, and we love God.  God loves us every day, so we love each other every day.  Therefore, on random days, we do special things for one another.  The hubby buys me just cause presents, like the other day.  My tea strainer broke and I was very upset because I have tea leaves and it is hard to drink tea with them floating to the top of your mug.  He brought one home because he knew I needed a new one, so now every time I have a cup of tea, I think about my honey bunny.  Or me...I do the majority of the grocery shopping, and sometimes when I feel he needs a pick me up, I will buy him a surprise at the store, something that he likes, but I don't normally buy.  Example: those frosted sugar cookies with the colored icing.  Those cookies make my teeth hurt just looking at them, but he enjoys them.  I don't like him to have them very often because they are really bad for you, but sometimes you just have to let them enjoy!

Here are a few verses of what God says about love:

1 John 4:7
[ God’s Love and Ours ] Dear friends, let us love one another, for love comes from God. Everyone who loves has been born of God and knows God.
1 John 4:21
And he has given us this command: Anyone who loves God must also love their brother and sister.

John 13:34
“A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another.

Romans 12:10
Be devoted to one another in love. Honor one another above yourselves.
1 Peter 1:22
Now that you have purified yourselves by obeying the truth so that you have sincere love for each other, love one another deeply, from the heart.
These are just a few verses of so many that our creator speaks about love.  I can't even say that I up hold one of these truths all the time.  So instead of focusing on what we don't get for Valentine's day or what our Valentine's day isn't, I am going to try to love like these verses and so many others teach.

I want to love my husband, and my future child as much as God loves us. God commands that we love.  Love isn't a bad thing, it is something to devote oneself too.  God loved us first, so we can love...that kind of love is amazing.  To be loved by another human like that is a great thing.  That is what I want to strive for this Valentine's day, to love like Christ Loved! (He loved with his very life).

No comments: